Monday, January 9, 2012

Ibn Mama Loubna - September 2008


The summer is over... the sahil was a nice and relaxing kind of isolation... no internet... sitting on the beach with family and friends, staring at the sea and enjoying the breeze... making agonizing choices like whether to order a panini or stuff ourselves with fressssssskkkkkkka... and bumping into fellow PSSians...

So... There I was... relaxing on the beach... minding my own business (ah WAllahi) until... until Mama Loubna happened...

As I said, I was sitting on the beach minding my own business when my friend Nahla came along with her friend Nevine. She introduced us... We exchanged small talk... the one usually exchanges with new acquaintances... Polite, cute talk... When all of a sudden Nevine exclaimed excitedly: "Did you see ibn Mama Loubna?"...
I sit up in my chair... All ears... All attention? "Who?"
"The son of Mama Loubna"
"La mo2akhza mish wakhda bali... Meen Mama Loubna?"
She laughs: "Akeed you know Mama Loubna"...
"No"... I confess my ignorance...
Nevine patiently explains (her expression plainly indicating that I had just dropped a couple of points on her appreciation scale)... "Mama Loubna , the editor-in-chief of the kids' magazine "Samir"... Remember, Mickey wi Samir of the 1960's?"
"Oh yes, yes... Of course" (I safely return to a respectable spot on Nevine's scale)...
Nevine then tells me that she and Mama Loubna's children were childhood friends... Then she goes on to say how she bumped into her old buddy: the son of Mama Loubna on the beach...
Nevine continues: I was walking on the beach and there was the son of Mama Loubna sitting with an older gentleman. I rush to say hello and eagerly ask him: "Are you the son of Mama Loubna?"

Apparently (and here's the interesting part) the son of Mama Loubna is fellow PSSian and our own '76 classmate Hesham Y... Hesham answers her with a polite: "Yes I am the son of Mama Loubna" and wishes she would just... go away...! But Nevine is totally oblivious of Hesham's profound embarassment at her interrpution of his conversation with the older gentleman, and is very happy with this reunion and continues to greet Hesham with zeal.

The older gentleman who was sitting with Hesham, is thoroughly amused with this exchange and apparently has a keen sense of humor... He tells Nevine: "You come looking for ibn Mama Loubna and you ignore an ex-Minister of Foreign Affairs and current Secretary General of the Arab League??!!!" In Arabic he said:
 بقى سايبة وزير خارجية سابق والأمين الحالي لجامعة الدول العربية وجاية تدوري على ابن ماما لبنى؟؟ 
It turns out that the older gentleman is none other than Amr Moussa... who for the first time ever, is outshone and sidelined by his own spokesman, seyadit el mostashar Hesham!!!

So, my friends it appears that... to some of his friends, Hesham Y is more prominent than Amr Moussa... And that, mes amis, was the most eventful event of an otherwise uneventful summer...

No comments:

Post a Comment